Welcome ! Forums How can the inlingua TRPs be adapted to accommodate one-to-one learners Reply To: How can the inlingua TRPs be adapted to accommodate one-to-one learners

Maxine Cotton
Participant

inlingua TRPs are definitely better suited for group lessons, however, I believe with some simple modification, they can be adapted to one-on-one lessons. The inlingua method of course stays the same: presentation, practice and production. Any portion of the lesson that might involve chaining, weaving, groupwork, ‘find someone who’ activity, or discussion will have to be modified. There are plenty of other exercises available to the trainer. For instance: ask me questions, negative build up, W questions, cue cards, visuals, role playing, audio/videos, etc… Even discussions can still be held. The trainer will have to focus on making it more one-sided and asking questions that elicit a good response.
The one negative that is likely to occur, is greater TTT. It is inevitable with a one-on-one lesson, when there is no possibility for pair-work, chaining or weaving. The trainer can still successfully use mime, visuals and gestures, though.
I think it is very important to clearly plan the lesson when it comes to one-on-ones. Especially if the training aims to keep TTT to a minimum. Having a clear plan, instead of coming up with activities on the spot, will both minimize TTT and awkward delays in the lesson.
Although I strongly believe in a group setting for learning, one-on-one lessons can also be great for students. Students will receive greater attention, more speaking time, and topics will likely be covered quicker.
I have engaged in one-on-one lessons with inlingua teachers and the lessons were structured very much the same. The goals of the lesson were to same and I learned the same material. There just, of course, was not as much group work with classmates.