Welcome ! Forums Adult Education

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 183 total)
  • Author
    Feryel Chouaieb
    Participant

In the realm of andragogy, the learner takes center stage and assumes a significant responsibility for their own education. Adult learners are actively steering their learning path. The more experienced and knowledgeable an adult learner is, the more they enrich and facilitate the learning process. Their wealth of life experiences enables them to approach learning with practicality, making informed decisions about which information to acquire or skills to develop. This practicality extends to their preference for selecting knowledge that has direct relevance to their real-life situations, ensuring that the learning process remains meaningful and applicable.A distinguishing feature of andragogy is its orientation towards practical and real-world learning. Adult learners exhibit a distinct readiness to engage in educational pursuits. This readiness often arises from sudden life changes, the necessity to manage daily tasks, or a simple desire for self-improvement.
    andragogy hinges on these fundamental principles: the learner’s central role in their education, the invaluable influence of their life experiences, a pragmatic orientation towards practical learning, their readiness to acquire knowledge in response to life changes, and their intrinsic motivation for learning. These principles distinguish andragogy from pedagogy and provide a comprehensive framework for understanding and facilitating the unique characteristics of adult education. By acknowledging and adapting to these distinctive aspects of adult learning, educators can empower adults to take ownership of their educational journey and fulfill their personal and professional goals.

Rachid ben Fraj
    Participant

When we talk about education, it is mainly segregated into two groups, young and adults.
    The latter is the focus of this short paper.
    From my own point of view and as far as my teaching experience is concerned, a vast majority of adults (if not all of them) are pretty much already self-motivated to learn the language. Reasons may vary from one person to another, and mainly the two main ones are travelling purposes, and working purposes. Henceforth, it is not as challenging as teaching children and young learners, who are often forced to learn the language and always being told what to do.
    Adult learners always assume their responsibilities when learning the language, they know very well why they should learn a language and in what way they will benefit from learning it. Hence, they know exactly what motivates them to learn a language. This is a very important factor that ease up the learning process, because if the learner is being forced to learn a language simply for their own good without having a strong reason behind it, then the learning process might be a little bit complicated.
    Learners who are self-motivated will have no problem seeing progress because they are ready to go beyond what the trainer does during the sessions, and I can take my own case as an example. During my previous job, I had to work with French people, to which back then I would rate my level in French as medium. I had to improve it to a much higher level that allows me to conversate my ideas fluently. The best learning method that was most helpful for me was (apart from the fact that I was speaking to native people on a daily basis) was listening to a lot of authentic French, whether videos, TV, and most importantly podcasts when driving, walking, and even when working out. Results? A major improvement in French, I no longer stumble when engaging into serious debates with French people, hence I became very fluent.
    I believe that this method works for every language, speaking to natives (and nowadays it is much easier than ever via social media) and listening to the target language on a daily basis.
    To conclude, a strong reason will motivate is always needed when a person wants to learn a specific language, it could make the learning process much more enjoyable and fun, and most importantly easier.

Teresa Bertucci
    Participant

There is a big difference between having children in front of me who are more or less forced to learn something (which they sometimes don’t want to do) and having adults in front of me who have decided for themselves that they want to learn something new (a new language). Because the beginning of learning something new is your own decision. Motivation only comes from wanting to learn something new if you decide to do so yourself. Unfortunately, this is not the case today (with children at school). As a rule, children are not allowed to decide what they want to learn and what they don’t want to learn. Motivation and self-determination go hand in hand if you want to successfully learn something new. Of course, it is difficult to teach an adult a new language because an adult’s brain is trained that new things are often not good, the old and what is in our comfort zones is what is good. The fact that you have to get out of your comfort zone in order to learn something new is difficult for any adult. Therefore, if you want to teach an adult something new, you should make sure that you let them slowly grow out of their zone.

Teresa Bertucci
    Participant

Motivation is key if you want to learn something new or teach someone something new. Especially with children, it is very important to tease motivation out of them. Without motivation, children often can’t get out of themselves. Of course, many people talk about discipline. But anyone who has ever had a child sitting in front of them with zero motivation to do anything, let alone learn something new, knows how difficult it can be to get them to work and think with discipline. In most cases, the only thing that helps is motivation. It’s the same with adults. However, the level is slightly different here. As a teacher, you only add a small amount of motivation, because the adult usually knows that they have to motivate themselves to learn, otherwise they won’t get any further.

Haifa Zlitni
    Participant

Adult learners always start learning a language for a specific purpose, either to be able to communicate with a larger group of people when traveling or for work or study purposes. This may cause a problem only if the learner has a strict schedule and a deadline along with high expectations of learning a new language within a limited time. If the learner expects to receive knowledge passively without being an active learner, the learning experience can be challenging to say the least.
    Some techniques are provided to help the learner follow-up on his training courses such as listening to podcasts in the target language or watching movies in the target language with subtitles so the learning can be authentic and natural. Books tend to be more formal than works of fiction and art which in turn can stimulate the learner to be more engaged in the learner process since they’re the ones that will be choosing the films and podcasts.

DUSAUSOY ERICA
    Participant

Learning is a process that continues on even after traditional schooling has been completed. Adult learners often fare better on their paths of continuing education than youngsters who are obliged to follow a certain trajectory. Freedom has a lot to do with this success as adults can take care of their own timetables and choose which subject matters they study. Being reintroduced to a classroom setting can also be a refreshing change to adults who may be bored or understimulated in their workplace environments.
    The notion that you are too old to learn should be thrown out of the window. If anything, you are never too old to learn! Adult education is vital to the well-being of individuals in their personal and professional lives. Utilizing life experience and furthering one’s education/training can help a person blossom into a more productive and complete being. I experienced this myself in my mid-20’s when I returned to university (online) to complete my Bachelor’s Degree. At that time, I had two very young children and had to pay close attention to my time management so not to overwork myself. The idea of a virtual classroom was new to me but it was not daunting. At the end of this period of studies, I managed to obtain better grades than I had ever received as a teenage undergraduate. As an adult, I was more focused on the course materials and had fewer social distractions that risked taking me away from studying and attending class. Overall, continuing my education as an adult learner was one of the best decisions I made in my life.
    Whether an adult learner is seeking to improve their knowledge on their own or with the help of a trainer/group, the results are bound to be beneficial. Yes, old dogs can learn new tricks!

Enklida Allgjata
    Participant

The main characteristic of adult learning is that it is addressed to people who usually have a high awareness of themselves and of the context where they live, mostly because of life experiences. This makes adults more responsible in learning and aiming for something practical and relevant for their real-life tasks. There is a very concrete idea of what they do and don’t want in terms of education. That’s also because education is also more expensive in terms of time and/or money for adults, so they are usually more motivated in learning (whether it is for work reasons, best life quality or even just for personal interest).
    Moreover there is a cognitive difference. Since their brain is already structured and less flexible, adults need more time to acquire knowledge, but need to understand the structures and the grammar in order to use it, which makes adults more rational and responsible in learning. This means that the teacher has to pay attention on giving much importance to the instrument you use, that can be comprehensible in terms of how some things work, while children are faster and more flexible in learning, but need “fun instruments” to keep motivation and attention high (like songs, or games).

Kevin Albert
    Participant

I think one of the biggest advantages of teaching adults is that they come to class with more experience and overall knowledge. This allows them to bring prior knowledge, preferred learning techniques and cultural knowledge. These can all applied to learning a new language. While it may be more difficult to learn a new language the older you get, adults do typically have a longer attention span. This is the opposite of teaching children in which the class needs to be more fun and activity based to keep their motivation higher. Adults typically want to learn a new language for personal reasons such as work, travel, moving to a new country or simply because they want to. A disadvantage is that adults may not be able to dedicate enough time to studying because of their responsibilities such work and family. It is also important to build up the adult students self-esteem and make sure the work environment is friendly and warm because an adult is more likely to become embarrassed and more aware of when they are making mistakes.

Michelina Freda
    Participant

Adult Education.

When adults decide to learn a new language, it is normally because they feel the need to improve their life standards. Learning a new language such as English can open up a new world for adults that want to improve their career prospects and therefore opening up new job opportunities. It also helps to connect with other people and cultures.
    Let’s face it students don’t realize that knowing a language such as English is necessary when they are at school and they don’t really understand the importance of the language until they become adults and face reality. English is basically a world- wide language and is spoken in many countries. It’s only when one becomes an adult and is faced with reality, for example: when they go on holiday and have difficulties in communicating in simple conversations while in a restaurant or a shop.
    Learning at an advanced age is positive, as they have the will power to learn and improve. It is also easier as they are not distracted and are focused in learning. However, there are some obstacles that have to be taken in consideration. It’s not easy especially if they are working to find time to study. They might even feel embarrassed at first if they don’t see improvements, which can then lead them in feeling frustrated and discouraged.
    Here, it is the trainer’s duty to help them relax and enjoy the process, without worrying too much about making mistakes. We have had several examples of videos, where the trainer includes everyone in a way that makes them feel at ease. Correcting them and making them correct each other, smiling and laughing during the lessons cancelling all the embarrassment and negativity. Enjoying yourself while learning is important as it gives confidence.

Roya Rezvani
    Participant

Adult education and children’s education are distinct in terms of learners’ characteristics, motivations, and learning needs. Children typically engage in formal schooling from an early age, where the curriculum is structured, and the learning environment is carefully designed to cater to their developmental stages. In contrast, adult education involves a more diverse group of learners who pursue learning for various reasons such as career advancement, personal development, or simply a love of learning.

Adult learners bring a wealth of experiences and prior knowledge to the educational setting. They are often more self-directed, motivated by practical goals, and prefer relevance in the content they study. Adult education often occurs in non-traditional settings like community colleges, night schools, or online platforms, allowing flexibility to accommodate work and family responsibilities.

Effective Factors in Adult Education includes:

Motivation:adults are motivated by practical goals, such as career advancement or personal development. Learning needs to be relevant and applicable to their lives, making immediate connections to real-world situations.
    Prior Experience and Knowledge:adult learners bring diverse life experiences and prior knowledge to the learning environment. Effective adult education recognizes and builds upon this existing knowledge, creating a more engaging and meaningful learning experience.
    Self-Directed Learning:adults often prefer a self-directed learning approach. They want to take responsibility for their own learning process, set their learning goals, and determine the pace of their education.
    Flexible Learning Environments:adult education is more effective when it provides flexible learning environments. This can include part-time programs, evening classes, online courses, or hybrid models that accommodate the varied schedules and commitments of adult learners.
    Practical Application:adult learners appreciate learning that has immediate practical applications. They want to see how the knowledge and skills they acquire can be applied in their professional or personal lives.
    Respect for Individual Differences: recognizing and respecting the diverse backgrounds, cultures, and learning styles of adult learners is crucial. Adult education should be inclusive and adaptable to cater to individual differences.
    Support/feedback:establishing support systems, such as mentorship programs or peer groups, can enhance adult education. These support structures provide encouragement, guidance, and opportunities for collaborative learning.

Chris VDL
    Participant

Having worked with learners averaging in ages of 18-25 odd years, in a retail environment you had to follow certain business/company guidelines. And the majority of the material used were compiled by business leaders or people from Human Resources backgrounds, where the learning was aimed at getting older or more adult learners ready to fit in , and advance in a job. the learners would usually take interest as the material on offer would have relevance to their work or adult life needs.

Robin Adam MacKay
    Participant

Adult education involves a diverse group of learners who pursue learning for various reasons. Adult learners usually start learning a language for a set of specific purposes, either to be able to communicate with a larger group of people when traveling or connect with other people and cultures or for work or study purposes, personal development, or simply a love of learning. Sometimes, especially in latter years simply to help keep their minds active and challenge themselves.
    Adult learners bring a wealth of experiences and prior knowledge to the educational setting. They are often more self-directed, motivated by practical goals, and prefer relevance in the content they study. However, there are some obstacles that have to be taken into consideration. It’s not easy especially if they are working to find time to study. They might even feel embarrassed at first if they don’t see improvements, which can lead them to feeling frustrated and discouraged.
    The trainer’s objective is to help them to relax and enjoy the process, without worrying too much about making mistakes. To help create a relaxed and non judgemental environment where learners can enjoy themselves and the learning process.

Lisa-Marie Koch
    Participant

Even though I have studied to teach children and adolescents, my experience has shown me that I enjoy teaching adults just as much and that they actually appreciate some techniques and strategies that are suitable also to teach children.
    I always try to create my lessons in a creative way with opportunities for the learners to become active, oftentimes using games or quizzes or having the learners create games or quizzes. Thus, eventhough adults might have different reasons to learn a language and a different experience level than children, I do not necessarily consider them to enjoy creative lessons less than children.
    One very positive experience for me was teaching a mixed group of adults and children because children would be partially more successive in terms of pronunciation, whereas adults would understand the grammatical rules better due to the higher experience level. Therefore, teaching mixed groups of language beginners can be a successful and satisfying experience with the learners of different ages profiting from each other.

Martina Berno
    Participant

Adult and children education are quiet different in a lot of aspects, such as learning style and motivation.
    Adults usually bring with them their experiences, for example previous education, trips and in general their ideas and opinions. This can make lessons much more interesting and easy for the trainer because a teacher can rely on their students’ experiences to boost practice and conversation. Adults are self-motivated: they usually study a language because they need it for work or a specific personal purpose; in general we can say that it is usually easier to work with adults because they have a strong will of learning and the trainer doesn’t have to work on their motivation. They also tend to be more focused and they deal with deadlines quiet well.
    On the other hand they can sometimes be distracted by work or personal issues and this make them less concentrated on their target of learning.

Sara Kazemi
    Participant

How adults learn language compared to children and adolescents is vastly different. First and foremost the motivation behind young learners to familiarize themselves with language is seen as more of a chore and something they are ordered and have to do. Adults on the other hand are motivated by their personal intention of learning and bettering themselves in this (language) aspect. Learning for adults feels more like a privilege than an obligation because they are at a stage in life where they themselves freely choose what they want to do and there is no force behind their actions. Children are told what to do and for the most part, their parents or guardians desire for them to act and behave a certain way. When an activity is not self-motivated and externally ordered, it is much more difficult to adhere to and be passionate about. On the other hand, an advantage that younger learners have is a more dynamic brain and their ability to absorb information faster and easier than adults can. It is very well-known that the younger you begin learning languages the faster and easier you learn and the better accent they can have. Whereas adults have a much more difficult time learning new information nd developing better accents.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 183 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.