Welcome ! Forums Adult Education

Viewing 3 posts - 181 through 183 (of 183 total)
  • Author
    Maxine Cotton
    Participant

Adult education is a very interesting topic to me, as I am currently learning as an adult. The most surprising aspect of learning as an adult, has been the difference only a couple of years can make. I attended University in my early 20s until my mid 20s. During this period, I had specific protocols I’d use to learn. They worked for me and were highly effective for my learning. Being in my late 20s now, however, has been an entire different ball game. To be fair, I am currently learning something that is completely foreign to me – a foreign language! In university, I was very passionate about my degree and I had a lot of prior knowledge before attending university. In other words, that could have contributed to the ease and success that came with my university learning experience. Regardless, it has been interesting to go back to a classroom setting and learn full-time as an adult. Protocols and techniques that worked for me five to ten years ago, no longer work. I’ve had to find new ways to learn and be successful in this learning experience.
    To me, it shows how much the brain can change in a few short years and how life experience can impact learning. Adults have to be conscious of this and acknowledge how they learn best. As a child, it is the responsibility of the teacher to figure out how the child learns best. However, adults are responsible for this later on.
    Another aspect that has effected my adult learning, is mindset. Once I entered the workforce post university, I didn’t envision myself going back to full-time school. I was very much looking to work full-time until retirement. Obviously that changed and I found myself back in school, which proved to be difficult. I was so caught up in idea of working, I found it difficult to learn instead. I have learned to put this aside and dedicate all my focus on learning.
    I think this mindset might also effect other adults who may not be used to learning, for whatever reason. It’s important to keep in mind, although people are adults, they may not know how to be students.

Niusha Baeilashaki
    Participant

educating adults are pretty different from kids from the aspect of experience the learners are bringing to the table and the readiness to the motivation.
    Adult learners are very independent, while Young Learners aren’t.Young Learners bring enthusiasm, curiosity and energy, while adults bring life experience. While Young Learners are still learning about the world around them, adults have already had a lifetime of experiences and have their own ideas and opinions.While adults possess cognitive advantages and existing language skills, they also face various obstacles in their language-learning journey.One of the primary challenges faced by adults in language learning is the cognitive development and learning style that differs from that of children. As you mature, your brain undergoes changes that can impact language acquisition. Adults may find it harder to absorb new vocabulary and grammar rules compared to children.However, adults can leverage their cognitive abilities, such as critical thinking and problem-solving, to analyze and comprehend language patterns. Adults often have developed learning styles and strategies that can be applied to language learning, making their approach more efficient and targeted. Motivation and self-discipline play crucial roles in adult language learning. Unlike children, who are often immersed in language learning environments, adults need to actively seek out opportunities to practice and engage with the target language.
    Self-discipline enables adults to create consistent study habits, set goals, and allocate time for regular practice. Adult learners who maintain high levels of motivation and self-discipline tend to make more significant progress in acquiring a new language.

Gaia Mancuso
    Participant

One of the defining features of adult education is its emphasis on lifelong learning. Unlike formal education, which typically occurs during childhood and adolescence, adult education caters to learners of all ages, backgrounds, and experiences. Regardless of the motivation behind learning a new language, gaining skills necessary for work, taking up a hobby, or just broadening one’s knowledge, adult education offers easily accessible chances for both personal and professional growth. While traditional education often follows a structured curriculum dictated by academic standards, adult learners have the autonomy to shape their learning experiences according to their interests and goals. This self-directed approach fosters a sense of ownership and motivation, empowering individuals to take control of their education and pursue topics that resonate with them personally. Additionally, adult education adopts a learner-centered approach that prioritizes the unique needs and experiences of each individual. Unlike traditional pedagogical models that focus on imparting knowledge from teacher to student, adult education emphasizes collaboration, critical thinking, and experiential learning. By drawing on learners’ prior knowledge and life experiences, trainers can create rich and meaningful learning environments that are relevant and engaging.

Viewing 3 posts - 181 through 183 (of 183 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.