Welcome ! Forums How much should classes be related to your learners’ work, using their particular industry, and how much should they be removed from it to give them a break from their routine

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    DUSAUSOY ERICA
    Participant

It is my opinion that the majority of a class should be related to the learners’ work. After all, business learners are there at the consideration and expense of their employers. The main focus should be on business and any target language related to their jobs & industry.
    A specific chunk of time should most definitely be dedicated to learning and exchanging in everyday language. This makes the lessons funner and also grows the learners’ vocubularies for any eventual chit-chat that they could have in a business setting. In fact, there are quite a few professions that require significant time to spent with clients / business associates. If learners have to show people around town or entertain them in any capacity, you absolutely want them to communicate on a less formal basis. If this is a notable part of your learners’ job duties, then the time allotted for business and everyday language should be balanced accordingly.
    Breaking from a professional-focused routine is also good for lightening the mood and even for improving working relationships between employees who may not see eye-to-eye at their workplace.
    There is the random learner / group of learners that want to spend the majority of the time having fun and joking around, so that requires another type of classroom management!

Iheb Gara
    Participant

Some students have more experience with the target language due to the sector they work in. To present meaningful activities on topics of interest, I find it crucial to diagnose the needs of both the students and the company. By doing this, we can optimize the relevancy of the content that will be delivered to the learners.

Enklida Allgjata
    Participant

I think it depends on the reason a learner decided to enroll in English classes. If it is for personal interest and general knowledge, there could be some more focus on general English.
    But if the course is specifically made for work learners and the expectations from the course are to learn skills to use in the work field, then it has to involve the particular industry too.

Haifa Zlitni
    Participant

I would say it depends on the learners’ needs. If they are sgning up for Business English, the course should be at least 70% Business and the other 30% could be useful English like “Transport/ Hotel/ Travel/ Police Station” if ever they find themselves abroad for business.

I believe the classes must be mostly based on the learner’s work, because their work is their point of motivation, but there should be moments of distance in order for them to escape their routine a bit

Roya Rezvani
    Participant

The balance between incorporating learners’ work-related content into language classes and providing a break from their routine is an important factor that should be paid attention to.
    First of all, understand the primary reasons why learners are taking the language classes. If the main goal is to improve communication in a work context, integrating industry-specific content is crucial. If learners also express a desire for variety or a break from routine, consider incorporating diverse topics.
    If language skills directly impact learners’ performance in their industry, prioritize industry-specific content. For example, healthcare professionals may need language skills tailored to medical contexts, while business professionals may benefit from language related to negotiations and presentations.
    Provide a mix of industry-specific content and topics that offer a break from routine. This variation helps maintain learners’ interest and engagement. It can include discussions on current events, cultural topics, or even language games and activities.
    Design lesson plans that can be adapted based on learners’ feedback and needs. If learners express a preference for more work-related content or a desire for a change, the instructor can adjust the curriculum accordingly.
    Sometimes, it is effective to gather feedback from learners through surveys or informal discussions. Ask about their preferences regarding the balance of industry-specific content and topics unrelated to work. This feedback can guide adjustments in course content.
    I think the key is flexibility and responsiveness to learners’ needs. By maintaining open communication, understanding preferences, language instructors can create a learning environment that is both relevant to learners’ work and provides a refreshing break when needed.

Michelina Freda
    Participant

I believe that it depends on the learner, as everyone is different and have different requests and preferences. Firstly, I think it’s important to find out what the learners’ work goals are. Once this has been stabilized, then I think the class should be designed to help them improve in this area. It would be a good idea to improve their skills and knowledge using examples related to their industry as it can help the learners understand the practical application of what they need to know and increase their motivation.
    However, this could be a hold back if the class has learners from different industries or roles such as: secretary, manager and office worker, as it may be challenging to use work related content that is appropriate for everyone.
    Sometimes the trainer is able to tell whether the learners are stressed during the lessons related to work and therefore need a break to unwind. If the trainer notices this, then he or she can transform the class into a leisure class for a break, using more enjoyable and relaxing topics that interest the whole class enabling them to reduce their stress.

Angie Pous
    Participant

In my opinion, and regarding my previous experience on the field, the classes must include focused vocabulary, however, the students normally manage their specific slang, unless they level is a beginner level. What they normally need most is to understand native speakers, therefore, phrasal verbs or idioms are good tools to teach.
    Business English students normally wish to acquire fluency and feel more comfortable when they attend conferences, meetings and so on, therefore, listening and speaking skills are crucial. As it has already been mentioned, specific target language regarding their industry relies on their level. It can certainly be tackled, but by no means it has to be the focus. The main focus is to be able to manage using English language in diverse contexts.
    Sumarizing, it is not a matter of giving students a break from their normal routine to teach or not specific language related to their industry, it is more related to their actual English level and needs. Normally needs are related to human relationships. So, target language related to their work field can be used when the language is practiced in context.

Carolina Montalvo
    Participant

Striking a balance between work-related and diverse content in language classes is crucial. Incorporating industry-specific language meets immediate professional needs, while introducing varied topics prevents monotony. It’s important to consider learner preferences, maintain engagement, and provide stress relief from work routines. Flexibility and regular feedback help tailor the learning experience to individual needs, ensuring a well-rounded approach that aligns with both short-term and long-term language goals.

In my view, it should be a mix of general English and Specific English related to their jobs. Some general English subjects, such as greetings and polite ways of asking things can be used in work situations and therefore are useful for business learners too. However, we have to be selective as for example, unless our students work in a Real State company, may be to talk about houses and the rooms in it is not something really useful. This is why it’s important to know which type or business learners do we have and what are our learners interested in learning for them to be useful, meaningful and interesting, while also introducing some general English contents that are used in all types of situations and may not be as specific for their jobs as another subject could be.

LORENA PISANA
    Participant

How much should classes be related to your learners’ work, using their particular industry, and how much should they be removed from it to give them a break from their routine?

In my opinion the majority of the lesson the trainer probably has to focus on the learner’s work because that is probably because they are here for. However, you can make it more interesting with some different exercises that center around their particular industry but could make the lesson more fun.
    And I also think it is very important at the beginning of the lesson and maybe also at the end of the lesson to take some minutes and just do a speaking part and talk about things like: What did you do on the weekend, what are you going to do during the week and so on.

I believe that initially you have to start with a grammatical and lexical base that is oriented towards the business sector, but you also have to try to trigger some vocabulary in a fun way without getting too technical and assiduous about industry terms. One should also try to steer the students towards a topic such as travel and then arrive at the vocabulary that is of interest but related to other topics. Involving the students with role-plays, chain speeches can help them to memorise what they need in an easier and more entertaining way.

Igor Leonarduzzi
    Participant

A good 80% of the lessons should be focused on the work aspects of the learners; before getting to this, often there’s a need to contextualize and have a global overview, in order to stimulate understanding, brainstorming and elicit prior knowledge. It’s also a way to break the routine and keep the interest high, enriching the lesson with unexpected material, without ever losing sight of the student’s particular interest.

Lana Kruger
    Participant

I think it is important to balance industry specific Business English with General English. Although Business English is formal, the learners would also need to learn how to communicate in situations that are outside of work (work functions, team building activities etc.). It is therefore important to incorporate different topics to keep the learners engaged whilst meeting the industry specific needs of the learner.

Finding the right balance between language classes and learners’ work is very important. On one hand, integrating language lessons with their industry-specific needs can be highly beneficial. For instance, if someone works in hospitality, learning phrases related to customer service can directly enhance their job performance.
    On the other hand, it’s essential to provide a break from the routine. Language classes offer an opportunity to explore different topics, giving a refreshing break from the daily work. Including interesting content unrelated to their work allows learners to enjoy the learning process, reducing stress and adding fun to their language journey.I suggest finding a middle ground. Including language lessons related to learners’ work, makes it practical for their jobs. At the same time, mixing some topics unrelated to work to give them a refreshing break. This way, language classes can be both useful for their profession and a nice escape from the everyday routine.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.