Welcome ! Forums How much should classes be related to your learners’ work, using their particular industry, and how much should they be removed from it to give them a break from their routine

Viewing 9 posts - 106 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Grazia Capra
    Participant

In my opinion, a good balance between classes related to the learners’ work and general English classes, is fundamental.
    I think that each lesson should include English for special purposes, such as finance, marketing, customer care or other, according to the students’ needs but we should keep in mind that small talk, socializing and General English are part of people’s life and work.
    Speaking about personal interests, for example, could be the necessary introduction to business talks, during a meeting.

Aurore Luongo
    Participant

I would say half of the class should be related the learner’s specific needs for work, and then the other half in general language (grammar, vocabulary).

Sara Kazemi
    Participant

I think it is wise to relate the class mostly to the learner’s industry as their main goal for learning the language is their work. However, giving the learner a break for a minor part of the class (10%) and practice language that is not related to their field of work.

Elena Cuccu
    Participant

Balancing the relevance of language classes to learners’ work and providing a break from their routine is essential for maintaining engagement and motivation while promoting effective learning outcomes. The optimal approach depends on various factors, including learners’ preferences, proficiency levels, and the specific learning objectives of the course. Different considerations need to be made regarding the integration of work-related content and the importance of diversifying instructional materials:
    Firstly, we need to consieder the relevance to Learners’ Work: incorporating content directly relevant to learners’ professions or industries can increase motivation and facilitate practical application of language skills in real-world contexts. Tailoring vocabulary, scenarios, and activities to align with learners’ work responsibilities can lead to deeper engagement and gives them the opportunity to immediately apply new language skills in their professional settings. Utilizing authentic materials such as industry-specific documents, case studies, or role-playing exercises allows learners to practice language while gaining insights into workplace communication norms and practices.
    However, it is important to find balance with General Content. While integrating work-related content is valuable, it’s essential to balance it with a variety of general language materials to provide learners with a well-rounded language learning experience. In fact, incorporating topics outside learners’ work contexts helps broaden their vocabulary, language proficiency, and cultural understanding, promoting versatility in communication and facilitating interaction in diverse social settings. General content can also serve as a valuable respite from work-related stressors, offering learners an opportunity to explore new interests, perspectives, and cultural aspects while rejuvenating their motivation and enthusiasm for language learning.
    In essence, while incorporating work-related content is essential for improving practical language skills and professional relevance, providing learners with breaks from their routine through diverse and engaging general content is equally important for maintaining motivation and promoting a more complete language development. Finding the right balance requires flexibility, customization, and ongoing feedback to create a learning environment that effectively meets the multiple needs and preferences of learners.

Anmere’ Steepkamp
    Participant

It is important to find a good balance. In order to achieve this, the trainer should determine the needs of the learner(s). Business learners would possibly want to learn the language to be able to use it in their day-to-day business day. It could be to work with clients speaking that language. It is important to make sure the learner is able to use the language structure and vocabulary needed.

However, the trainer could easily add a personal touch for example add some phrases about hobbies and interests of the learners. The main focus should be on the particular industry, but with a few extra aspects to keep the work interesting.

Jenny Kaplan
    Participant

I think classes should primarily relate to learners’ work, incorporating industry-specific content for practical relevance and applicability. Their learning may also be influenced by industry trends, market demands, and the need for adaptability in a dynamic business environment. However, it’s essential to provide occasional breaks from routine by incorporating diverse topics or creative activities

Finding the right equilibrium between industry-specific knowledge and transferrable skills is of utmost importance to achieve effective business education.
    Industry-specific content allows learners to witness the direct relevance of their acquired knowledge to their everyday work responsibilities and obstacles. Such an accomplishment has the potential to enhance their drive and active involvement.
    On the other hand, transferrable skills make professionals acquire knowledge of diverse business concepts and the adoption of best practices from various industries contributes to the development of versatile experts, enabling them to possess a comprehensive skill set.
    Therefore, to strike a balance between industry-specific and broader teaching, courses should be designed to contain a combination of industry-specific content and transferrable skills that can be used in a variety of business settings. For instance, case studies from a particular industry might be included in a negotiation course along with more negotiation strategies.

Maxine Cotton
    Participant

I think this questions depends on a couple of different factors. First of all, most English courses are going to be quite standardized, as inlingua has thoroughly researched what is best for business learners. However, I am a firm believer of catering the course to your target audience. If the learners all come from the same company, it could be very useful asking them directly what they need most help in and the areas they would like to work on. In a perfect scenario, it would be nice to cover all topics in the course, and then supplement it with topics the company finds particularly useful. At the end of the day, the company is the one retaining the service and should absolutely be given a say in the lessons taught.

In terms of giving the learners a break, I think this shouldn’t play a large role in determining what they learn. Business learners are there to learn English that will aid them in business relations. Thus the material should be highly relatable to their job.

Eliabel De La Salle
    Participant

I would say a part of the class should be related the learner’s specific needs for work (using their particular industry), and the other one for the vocab, grammar in every day life. Also useful for the business ! Do this part of the lesson that could help them in business relations with basic conversation, eliciting vocab and so on.I’s essential to provide this break from the routine, to not bore them and keep their concentration/motivation.

Viewing 9 posts - 106 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.